Cover Image

Diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome would be better made by gastroenterologists than primary care physicians

Mariette Bengtsson, Bodil Ohlsson
  • Mariette Bengtsson
    Affiliation not present


Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common disease, and constitutes a large portion of pa-tients admitted to gastroenterology units. We wanted to examine whether there is a need for patients with suspected IBS to have a thorough examination by a gastroenterologist to estab-lish the diagnosis, or whether other specialist or subspecialist physicians could better or equally identify the problems. From April 2003 to April 2005, females admitted with presumed IBS and consequently scrutinized by a gastroenterologist in our department were included. They were examined by a physician to establish a diagnosis. Four years later, the medical records were again scrutinized including abdominal symptoms, laboratory analyses and X-ray findings, to check if the findings were identical to the original diagnoses. Fifty admissions were identified. Nine of the patients did not want to participate, and 2 pa-tients did not keep the appointment. The diagnosis of IBS was confirmed in only 20 (51%) and the other 19 (49%) had another diagnosis other than IBS. At follow up, 3 patients included with the IBS diagnosis had organic diseases, and 4 with another diagnosis also had IBS. Thus, 46% of the examined women with expected IBS had another diagnosis. A thorough examination of the patient and confirmation of the symptoms by a gastroenterologist is necessary before diagnosis of IBS is confirmed. For this purpose, patients need to meet a specialist when diagnosis is uncertain.



Full Text:

Submitted: 2010-04-17 12:56:37
Published: 2010-08-30 15:53:35
Search for citations in Google Scholar
Related articles: Google Scholar
Abstract views:


Article Metrics

Metrics Loading ...

Metrics powered by PLOS ALM

Copyright (c) 2010 Mariette Bengtsson, Bodil Ohlsson

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
© PAGEPress 2008-2018     -     PAGEPress is a registered trademark property of PAGEPress srl, Italy.     -     VAT: IT02125780185