Cover Image

Tumors and tumor-like lesions of the heart valves

Shi-Min Yuan, Hua Jing, Jacob Lavee
  • Hua Jing
    Affiliation not present
  • Jacob Lavee
    Affiliation not present

Abstract

Valvular tumors and tumor-like lesions may have similar morphological and clinical characteristics, and may place the patients at a high risk of stroke in different ways. From January 2004 to June 2008, 11 patients underwent surgery for a suspected valvular tumor. Valvular tumor and tumor-like lesions accounted for 0.32% of adult cardiac operations. Five (45.5%) valvular lesions were papillary fibroelastomas, one (9.1%) was myxoma, 2 (18.2%) were organized thrombi, and 3 (27.3%) were calcification lesions. There was a total of 5 (45.5%) atrioventricular valve lesions, 4 arising from the atrial side of the leaflets, and one from the ventricular side. All 5 (45.5%) semilunar valvular lesions were from the aortic valve. One (9.1%) lesion originated from the chorda tendinea of the mitral valve. All leaflet lesions were resected by a simple shave technique, and all the patients recovered favorably. Valvular tumor and tumor-like lesions are rare. Pre-operative differential diagnoses among these valvular lesions pose important clinical implications for appropriate treatment for the underlying diseases. Prompt therapeutic measures in view of the underlying diseases of the valvular lesions are essential to prevent potential embolic events.

Keywords

Heart valve; Surgery; Tumors

Full Text:

PDF
HTML
Submitted: 2009-06-18 10:29:29
Published: 2009-10-05 10:13:12
Search for citations in Google Scholar
Related articles: Google Scholar
Abstract views:
391

Views:
PDF
124
HTML
8223

Article Metrics

Metrics Loading ...

Metrics powered by PLOS ALM


Copyright (c) 2009 Shi-Min Yuan, Hua Jing, Jacob Lavee

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
 
© PAGEPress 2008-2017     -     PAGEPress is a registered trademark property of PAGEPress srl, Italy.     -     VAT: IT02125780185