The prognostic value of tip-to-apex distance (TAD index) in intertrochanteric fractures fixed by dynamic hip screw

  • Ali Sadighi Shohada Hospital, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Iran, Islamic Republic of.
  • Jafar Ganjpour Sales Shohada Hospital, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Iran, Islamic Republic of.
  • Sahar Alavi | medicine.port@yahoo.com Shohada Hospital, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Iran, Islamic Republic of.

Abstract

Intertrochanteric fractures (ITFs) are the most common type of fractures requiring surgical intervention. They also have the highest surgical mortality among orthopedic operations. Among the many different techniques used for fixation of this type of fracture, use of the Dynamic Hip Screw (DHS) has gained wide acceptance. This current study was designed to assess positive predictive value of tip-to-apex distance (TAD) index in the prognosis of patients treated with DHS. The study was designed according to a descriptive-analytic protocol, made up of 100 cases of ITFs caused by falling, treated in the Shohada Orthopedic Center, Tabriz, Iran. All patients underwent lateral and antero-posterior hip X-ray to measure TAD index. The cohort was followed for three months after DHS placement. Of a total of 100 cases (53 male, 47 female) with a mean age of 76.7 years (range 29-100 years), 43% had grade 4, 29% grade 3, 21% grade 5, 5% grade 2 and 2% grade 6 osteoporosis. The screw position was postero-inferior in 57%, central in 40% and superior in 3% of patients. Minimum and maximum TAD index were 20 and 28 mm, respectively. Mean TAD was 23.5 mm. There were no post-operative complications in 84% of cases. Screw failure was the most common complication in the remaining 16% of patients. The study shows a statistically significant correlation between TAD index and cut-off rate in patients with intertrochanteric fractures of femoral bone treated by DHS. This validates the use of TAD index in determining the prognosis of patients treated by DHS.

Dimensions

Altmetric

PlumX Metrics

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
2012-11-02
Info
Issue
Section
Articles
Keywords:
Dynamic Hip Screw, fracture, tip-to-apex distance Index
Statistics
  • Abstract views: 2099

  • PDF: 359
  • HTML: 141
How to Cite
Sadighi, A., Ganjpour Sales, J., & Alavi, S. (2012). The prognostic value of tip-to-apex distance (TAD index) in intertrochanteric fractures fixed by dynamic hip screw. Orthopedic Reviews, 4(4), e32. https://doi.org/10.4081/or.2012.e32